10 Simple Ways to Kick-Off your Paleo Journey
I hear so often, “I can’t eat like you because I don’t have the time or the money. Besides, my family hates health food and they’d NEVER go for it!”
People hear Paleo “Diet” and assume that it is just another fad or yo-yo diet experience.
I am here to tell you, this is NOT a fad, this is a lifestyle change. While it can be challenging at first, as most new things are for people, this is a change you need to make for your health and for your life.
When people tell me that they don’t even know where to begin, I give them 10 simple tips to help them get started. If you don’t think you can jump in with both feet, I suggest you prioritize the steps and do what you can to start making better choices. Eventually you can achieve all of the steps and continue improving their overall diet and health.
What is holding you back? NOTHING will be holding you back after you read these 10 tips to begin your personal journey.
1. Purge your pantry. Get rid of the gut damaging foods in your house. That’s right, throw it out or donate it to a food shelter. Trust me, you do not want the temptation and you don’t want to give yourself the opportunity to go back to your old eating habits.
What to throw out:
~Highly Processed foods
~Dairy (At least for the first 30 days, then tray adding grass-fed dairy)
~Soy and Legumes
2. Start following Paleo: Buy Paleo cookbooks, follow Paleo blogs, Pin Paleo Pinterest recipes and start dreaming about delicious Paleo meals. The goal is to get excited about new foods and new experiences. The more you know and the more prepared you are, the better success rate you will have.
Here are some of our favorite Paleo Guru’s:
Mark’s Daily Apple
Against All Grain
3. Prepare your meal plans, grocery lists and foods in advance. Set yourself up for success by being ready for the changes you’re about to make. If you aren’t prepared, you will go back to what is easy and start eating the old favorites or worse, Fast Food!
4. Build all three of your meals around Protein (Chicken, Beef, Fish) and Vegetables (Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Kale) . Snack on Nuts and seeds, vegetables or seasonal fruits.
5. Add healthy Fats to your diet: Cook your foods in coconut oil, add grass- fed butter to your meals or even your coffee!
6. Support is so important on any new journey. If your family isn’t on board with you then find a friend or a Paleo community near you (Your local crossfit gym is a good place to find Paleo people). Stay active in Social media and create an online community of supporters for yourself through blogs, Paleo forums and motivational stories.
7. Reflect by making a list of health or weight concerns that you currently have. After 4 weeks of Paleo, revisit the list and see if you notice changes. When you visually see the difference natural foods are making, you won’t want to look back
8. Cook all of your meals at home for the first month. If you make extra for dinner, it will be easy to prepare your lunches the next day and carry your lunch box full of delicious foods that will help you avoid the cupcakes and pizzas in the office lunchroom. If you can’t cook or you are always traveling, do some research and find restaurants that can accommodate your dietary restrictions. Always ask for a Gluten- Free menu when eating out.
9. Sleep as much as possible. Part of getting your body healthy is giving it time to rest and relax. Try to get 8 hours of sleep a night (even if it means cutting off your electronics after a certain time!)
10. Exercise and enjoy the outdoors. Get outside and go for a walk, take the stairs over the elevator. Just because you are Paleo, doesn’t mean you have to be a dead lifter and crossfitter (even though it is really fun)! You will want to find something to do with all the extra energy you have.
So there you have it, a quick list of why you shouldn’t delay your paleo journey! We are here to cheer you on, answer questions and be your Paleo Support team! Imagine living life with a renewed body, spirit and mind. Maybe reaching your weight-loss goals or just feeling better about being YOU!